With everyone’s summer adventures coming up, I thought I’d share with you all what my carry on MUST HAVES are when I travel. I am not a frequent flyer by any means, but I’ve traveled enough to the point that I’ve completely narrowed down the essentials that I need to pack in my carry on when I do take a trip!
Let’s get started with electronics. In addition to my phone, I cannot travel without these following items and here’s why!
- Laptop – I reach for my laptop each and every day, so I love bringing this part of my routine with me wherever I go. It’s great for checking emails and seeing what the latest and greatest video is on YouTube, but I especially love it for watching movies on a decently sized screen in-flight! Also, since Netflix added the download and watch feature, I love binge watching TV series to pass the time on those longer flights.
- Headphones – On a day to day basis I prefer in-ear headphones, but when I travel I prefer over-ear headphones. I love larger headphones mainly because they do a better job at blocking out different types of noise (i.e.: the loud plane engines, the snoring passenger to the left, or the crying baby that’s just a few rows ahead).
- Nintendo 3DS XL – This is a must have for me because if I get bored of watching movies, but I’m not quite ready to start reading a book (which eventually leads to me falling asleep), I LOVE to play Pokemon or Super Mario on this little thing. I can very easily get lost in a few hours of gameplay.
- iPad Mini – I have had this sucker for about 4 years now, so it’s not the newest or the fastest iPad and therefore I can’t really do much on it, but I do love it for reading books on my Kindle App.
Next up are my must have beauty items that I prefer to have within my reach while traveling.
(From left to right…)
- Hand Sanitizer – Being stuck in a confined space for hours can sometimes lead to a minor cold, so I like to be as proactive as possible with avoiding as many germs as I can. I love Bath & Body Works travel-friendly sized hand sanitizers, and it’s great that they have so many scents to choose from.
- Tinted lip balm – Plane rides suck the moisture right out of me, so I always travel with a lip balm. I usually don’t wear any makeup when I travel, so the tinted lip balm is also great because it brings a little color and life back to my face after a long flight. (One of my recent posts was on my favorite tinted lip balms for the summer, so check that out if you haven’t already!)
- Travel sized perfume or body spray – Nobody likes to smell like the cabin of a long plane ride! My current favorite perfume, shown above in a travel sized version, is Jo Malone’s ‘Peony and Blush Suede’ (here). It’s fresh, light, and perfect for the summer!
- Face moisturizer – Again, I typically don’t travel with makeup on, so on longer flights where my face gets that thirsty feeling, I like to apply a moisturizer in-flight. I received a couple samples of my favorite Glamglow mask, Thistymud (here), which I recently found to come in very handy on my travels back in April!
- Eye drops – I wear glasses/contacts, so I always like to keep my peepers hydrated.
- Hand lotion – More moisture, moisture, moisture! If you couldn’t tell by now, I like to stay moisturized – my hands included! I love the Look Ma, New Hands from Bath & Body Works (here) as I find it doesn’t wash off as easily as other hand lotions that I’ve tried.
Last but not least, my boring essentials.
(Clockwise from the top…)
- A scarf – I always get cold during flights. Even if I’m wearing pants, a tank, a long sleeve shirt, and a sweatshirt, I’ll still get cold. My favorite scarf is lululemon’s Vinyasa Scarf (here) because not only does it provide an extra layer of warmth, but you can actually wear the scarf 7 different ways! It’s more bang for your buck and a nice little way of sprucing up, or even changing the look, of a few outfits! lululemon even has a YouTube video to show you how to do this on their website (in the link above).
- A small brush – After I catch some zzz’s on a flight, my hair inevitably becomes disheveled. I like traveling with this compact Tangle Teezer brush (here) because it’s A) compact, and B) it has a little cover so the bristles don’t damage any of the other items in my purse.
- The next 3 items are not only travel essentials, but are some of my day to day essentials as well: my keys, wallet, and planner. You can’t go anywhere without these items, right?!
- Snacks – If I don’t eat I get hangry, and nobody wants to deal with that (so I’ve been told)! Whether it be a protein bar or a small bag of chips, I like to keep a small snack on me to take the edge off just in case I unexpectedly get hungry.
Hopefully this may have given you a few ideas for items that you may want to add to your carry on during your upcoming travels. I’d love to know what some of your must-have travel items are!